Friday, March 26, 2010

Cheap and Easy Seven Layer Casserole

Don't we all seem to have our set 10 or so dinners that just get rotated weekly? Here's another recipe you can add to make it 11 :-) I always seem to make the same 2 or 3 dishes with ground beef... tacos, meatloaf, and hamburgers. What this recipe calls for you will more than likely have on hand which is what makes it nice. Ok well anyway here it is and by the way I found this on Recipezaar.

Seven Layer Casserole

Layer in order in an 8x8 casserole dish:

1 cup uncooked rice washed and drained
1 cup whole kernal corn
salt, pepper, dash garlic powder
1 8oz can tom sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 lb ground beef uncooked (you can use 1 whole pound of course... it's a lot of beef!)
salt, pepper, dash garlic powder
1 can diced tomatoes undrained (use any kind/flavor you like)
4 strips bacon (optional)
Cheese (optional)
avocado (optional)

Bake at 350 for 1 hour covered. Uncover and bake another 30. If using cheese, add in the last 10 minutes. If using bacon lay the bacon uncooked across the top and let cook the whole time. If using avocado (yum yum), serve slices along side casserole.

*You can easily make this a NT recipe simply by soaking your rice before using and reduce the water to 1/3 cup.

This post is part of Nourishing Gourmets Pennywise Platter

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog through the nourishing gourmet. I love the business that you started in honor of your mom. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer almost ten years ago. I glad to say that I still have her today by the grace of God. Sadly she still is experiencing many health problems not related to her bought with cancer. I admire so much what you are doing. I make my own deodorant with the same ingredients. I make chap stick too! It's so much fun. I love making candles but unfortunately all I have right now is perafun left over form others candles that I melt down. I've been wanting to buy a soy wax candle but they are always so expensive! I will definitely be buying one from you in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katie, and I am so sorry about your mom. I know what you are going through. My mom had actually been in remission for over 12 years when hers came back. She fought it for another 6 before she passed away. I wish the best for you and your family. I think it's great what your doing in Mexico! Blessings to you! I agree that making candles is fun... who cares if all you have is parafin right now before I started making them I didn't even know there was a difference! I had never even burned a soy candle before I started making them. No of course that's all I burn :) Well anyway, I'm glad you found me and if there is a time I can send you something just let me know!
    Thank you and best wishes to you in the south.

    ReplyDelete