Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Mexican Rice Bowls

Are you tired of making the same meals every week? Every month? I was to so I decided to make a change. I made a list of everything we like to eat and I mean everything, at home or out at a restaurant. I came up with a chart of approximately 40 or so meals to be made on a monthly basis. If there's something I don't know how to make, I just look up a recipe for it. My meals can change by what I have on hand, or what's on sale in the weekly ads. Anyway this has been working for me and it's been curbing our desire to eat out as often since I'm making a lot of those foods here at home now.

Since I am making these meals at home I can make them as healthy as I want. For example, I made a very delicious chicken pot pie for dinner the other night. I made the crust and the creamy soup inside. I used a free-range chicken and frozen veggies. No cans, nothing artificial, just healthy goodness. So I'll be sharing my recipes with you, daily if possible.

Here's what we had for dinner last night: Mexican Rice Bowl. Taco bell has something similar to this and my sister-in-law makes something close to this as well. Here's my spin:

Rice (I made spanish style using brown, but any rice will do)
Pinto or Black beans
taco style beef (or chicken I only used 1/2 lb for our meal and had some left over)
shredded cheese
sour cream
chopped tomatoes, green onions, black olives, lettuce, whatever...
avocado
taco sauce
doritos (optional)

On a nice large plate place a scoop of rice, top with following desired ingredients (i've found that whole beans make the meal less "mushy" than using refried beans, but to each their own) beans, beef, cheese, toppings, and if you like a little crunch then crush some doritos or tortilla chips on top. My kids loved this meal as did my husband.

If you keep a fairly stocked pantry you should only have to buy a couple items to make this meal. I had to purchase an avocado ($1.50), a tomato (.22), green onions (.50), and a can of diced tomatoes & green chilis ($1.00) I added to my rice. My weekly out of pocket for this meal was $3.22. I already had beef, rice, whole beans, lettuce, chips, sour cream, olives, and cheese.

So there you go, easy and delicious Mexican Rice Bowls. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment