Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Ever Delicious Homemade Pizza

I love love love homemade pizza. I especially love it when you've found the right crust to make and for me I have found one. I am still a sucker for the Chef Boyardee pizza sauce (one of the few canned items I still buy), but I do make my own when I'm in a pinch. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com of course, and I've only tweeked it a tiny bit because it's really great as is. Here it is:

Jays Signature Pizza Crust (tweeked)
2.25t. yeast or 1 pk dry active yeast
1t honey
1.5c. warm water (110 degrees)
1t. salt
2T. olive oil
3.5-5c flour
3-4T melted butter

1. In a large bowl disolve yeast and honey in warm water. Let sit 10 min.
2. Stir in salt and oil and add 2.5c flour
3. Turn dough out on well floured surface and knead in additional flour until no longer sticky (I find this takes about 10 min and about 2 more cups of flour)
4. Place in well oiled bowl and cover. Let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size. When ready, punch down and form a tight ball. Let relax 5 min or so before you roll out. *This is when you can divide the dough and freeze half if you want. This recipe makes two bar pan size handtossed quality crusts, one very large, very thick crust, or I guess however you like it.
5. I do recommend baking on a stone if you have one, it crisps the bottom very nicely. If you do not, then oil your pan well, let rise another 15 min then prebake 10 min without your toppings. Remove from oven and top as usual.
6. Before you top your crust, brush exposed crust with melted butter. Now proceed with your toppings. (this part isn't necessary, but it adds more flavor)
7. Bake in a hot oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 min.

If you do not have any pizza sauce on hand there are many many recipes on the web. I make a very simple one using tomato sauce, garlic salt & powder, onion powder, oregano, and basil, all to taste.

So one of these days when I get organized and find my memory, I'll take pictures of these recipes to post for you until then you'll just have to use your imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment