Thursday, February 26, 2009

How Clean Is Your Hair?

A week or so ago I decided to stop using shampoo and conditioner. In the winter, I always get a very dry scalp and right now I'm nursing. I didn't want to use anything heavily medicated for my hair so I decided to go for a dip into the ole' world wide web and see what I could find.

Baking soda and apple cider vinegar is what I've settled on and I don't wash it everyday. I have seen a very big difference in my scalps well being. It isn't as itchy or flakey. I take a small palm full of the b. soda (1/2-1 Tablespoon), get it slightly wet and massage it into the scalp. Obviously this will not lather up like normal soap but the point of washing your hair is to clean it and this definately does the trick. The rinse is what you can play with and by this I mean you can add scents and essential oils. I'm not quite there yet because I wanted to see if there were results with just plain vinegar first. Now that I know there are I'll probably take on infusing my vinegar with herbs to suit my needs.

Here is one site I've found that was pretty helpful:
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shampving.htm

While I know this isn't for everyone there is something freeing about not being reliant upon industry, this is their kick in the pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment